We enjoyed a terrific lunch with many kinds of salad and tea Wednesday thanks to the SCCAP Culture Committee, which came up with the idea for Southern Tea and Salad Day.
Among about a dozen different salads (I sampled and loved them all!) that staff members made, your humble blog author was fortunate enought to win the contest for the best salad with my Asian Slaw, an easy dish that we make often at my home after having it at a party a couple of years ago. Since I got a couple of requests for the recipe yesterday, I’m providing it below.
If anybody else who brought in salads, teas or lemonades yesterday would post your recipes as comments below, I’m sure others would appreciate it. I know that I would!
Thanks to everyone who brought in food yesterday and to the Culture Committee that organized the event!
Asian Slaw – Ingredients
- 2 (3 oz.) pkgs beef flavored ramen noodles
- 1 14 oz. pkg. slaw mix
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- Remove flavor packets from soup mix and set aside. Crush noodles and place them in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Top the noodles with slaw mix, sprinkle with almolds, sunflower kernels and green onions.
- Whisk together contents from flavor packets, sugar, oil and vinegar. Pour over slaw.
- Cover and chill 24 hours. Toss before serving.